shutterstock 1586695855

Different farms will have different requirements depending on the type of work they do. This means you’ll need to customise your policy as much as possible to ensure that you’re not paying for cover that you don’t need. Naturally you’ll want everything on your farm to be protected, from vehicles and your home to livestock and equipment.

     1. Check your liability coverage

One of the most important elements of cover you need to consider is Public Liability. The best policy will cover your legal responsibilities for accidental injury to a person, loss or damage to property. Coverage will probably need to be in the millions of euro. Employers Liability is essential if you have paid workers or even family members who help out on the farm occasionally. This protects you should anything happen to them, covering the costs and expenses of claimants you are responsible for, and other costs that arise. Check to see if cover for voluntary helpers is also covered. Many companies also offer Environmental is becoming increasingly important to have this cover due to the increase in department of agricultural checks on farms, water testing, soil sampling etc.

     2. Assess your property

Physical assets will also need to be covered. Check that protection for the vehicles you use to get around your farm is included. Choose between third party, fire and theft or fully comprehensive cover, for tractors, trailers or other vehicles that you depend on. If you keep livestock on your farm they will need to be covered, as they are valuable assets. Look out for fatal injury protection, which covers animals in case of fire, lightning or explosion, theft, and sheep worrying. You’ll want to ensure your property – and don’t forget your tools – is sufficiently covered for theft, as your equipment is essential to your livelihood and is expensive to replace. Look for all-risks cover that also pays out in the case of accidental damage. Also remember to detail outbuildings and sheds.

     3. Get your supports in place

Protecting your health is non-negotiable. Any insurance coverage should also include personal accident and hospitalisation cover, as the farm probably would not be able to function if you were incapacitated due to illness or accident. Home insurance can also be included in your policy – you’ll want to protect the roof over your head as well as your livestock and equipment. Check that contents insurance is included, both for your personal contents and the business kit that is integral to keeping things running.

The help of a trusted insurance broker is very helpful in getting the right protection for the most important property and possessions. A broker such as Britton Insurance is experienced in the market and will be familiar with selecting the right policy for you that leaves you neither under or over insured. Britton Insurance offers a prompt competitive quotation for all farms throughout Ireland and doesn’t require farm visits to quote. Once our farm adviser discusses your needs with you they can generally provide a quotation within 24 hours.