If you are a landlord, it makes sense to protect your valued investment with a good landlord insurance policy. Landlord insurance protects landlords against the risks associated with a rental property.

Being a landlord can sometimes be an ‘expensive’ occupation, when things go wrong. If you do not have adequate insurance cover, you could end up paying out a considerable amount of money from your own pocket when the ‘unforeseen’ happens.

What Does Landlord Insurance Cover?

A good Business landlord insurance policy will provide you with numerous features to protect you and your investment, such as building damage insurance as well as financial protection against loss of rent (depending on policy limit) during required refurbishment/maintenance periods.
Contents insurance is also an important element of landlord insurance, especially if the property is fully furnished. This helps protect furniture and electrical products from damage or theft, giving cover to replace them if stolen or damaged.

Salon Insurance in Ireland by Britton Insurance

Below are some specific addons that a good landlord insurance policy should cover for:

    • Cover for third party claims
    • Fire brigade charges
    • Rehousing tenants
    • Lost rent after an event such as fire or flood
    • Door lock replacement
    • Contents in the garden
    • Contents in the outbuildings
    • Damage caused by water leaks and burst pipes
    • Electrical damage

At Britton Insurance, we can help you customise your landlord insurance policy to suit your individual needs and requirements.

Is Landlord Insurance Compulsory?

Although business landlord insurance is not compulsory in Ireland, many banks and lenders include it as a mandatory requirement for a buy-to-let mortgage. Building’s insurance is the minimum advisable cover that you should consider as a landlord. It will protect the building in case of a flood, fire or subsidence and will cover the rebuilding cost of your property, if the ‘unforeseen’ should ever happen.

Landlord insurance can cover, not only the property but also the fixtures and fittings that you have installed in/on the property, gates, walls, hedges, fences, patios, terraces, paths and drives that are itemised in the policy.

Your landlord policy can also protect you against any/all sum(s) that you would be liable to pay out as the owner of the property. It will also cover you, in case the property becomes uninhabitable following damage by fire/flood, for loss of rent and loss of income to you.

Landlord Insurance Tips

Before you purchase a landlord insurance policy, be sure to correctly calculate the rebuilding cost of your rental property. The House Rebuild Calculator from the Society of Chartered Surveyors in Ireland is a great tool to help you calculate the correct rebuild cost.

Britton Insurance can help you find the right insurance cover for your investment property at the best price available to our insurance consultants team, on a given day. Contact our landlord insurance specialists today. Click here or call 074 9721 304 for a quick quote.